My name is Joyce Bergsma and I’m a Registered Nutritional Therapist and Functional Medicine Practitioner.
I’m registered with the British Association for Nutrition and Lifestyle Medicine, the Institute of Functional Medicine and the Association of Naturopathic Practitioners.
Growing up in Canada, the kitchen was the centre of our family home. I learned how to cook from an early age, loved picking the vegetables we grew and watering the garden. Our home-grown carrots might have looked different from their store-bought cousins, but they tasted much better. As I got older, I noticed how food affected my mood, energy levels, digestion and stress levels.
Healthier Diet, Healthier Life
Several people close to me developed serious health problems and I felt there could be a connection to their diets. Would a healthier diet create a healthier life? This interest led me to study nutrition in the UK. There I learned to identify the connections between the systems of the body. It was clear that diet, exercise, our environment and genetics affects whether diseases develop in the body or not. I researched the mechanisms of the body, nutrigenetics and science-based solutions.
Why Mental Health?
With depression and anxiety present in my family, my interest in prevention and support was crucial! It inspired me to learn how mental health could be influenced by nutrient therapy. Understanding the challenges of adjusting our lifestyles in a consumer society, I am keen to motivate others in making practical changes that enable their bodies to heal themselves.
As the founder of my own nutrition business, my interest in the effects of food on our (mental) health has become my daily work. I finished my studies at the Institute of Optimum Nutrition (ION) in 2010, after having worked as a project manager in the healthcare industry. I worked with charities such as Crisis over Christmas and The Food Chain to provide healthy meals to the homeless and deliver nutrition workshops to clients with HIV and AIDS. In the Netherlands, I volunteered with Op Eigen Kracht-training – a foundation originally run by the Dutch Food Bank – where I designed and delivered workshops on healthy eating and zero waste. See below for interviews and guest blogs I’ve participated in.
What do people say about me?
Interviews & Guest blogs
- Marjorie Lumet is a mindfulness trainer, coach and doula. She interviewed Joyce during COVID-19 time on the link between nutrition and mental health and strengthening the immune system.
- Your superpower will shine with Blanca Vergara coaching as she helps you dump the kryptonite that stops you from moving forward. Here she interviews Joyce on her superpower.
- Mum’s the Word is a podcast dedicated to mums. In one episode Joyce talks about normalising the conversation around postpartum depression and tips on prevention and support.
- In Shape Mummy – is an Australian company helping mums achieve the healthy figure they want and Joyce created all the delicious recipes for their programme
- Iamsterdam – inspiring international expat profiles
- Robert W Mason – photographer of the Sunday Sessions
- Wilson’s Workouts – Biomechanics for injury-free training, bootcamp for women and strength training
- Joyce has also featured on Broadcast Amsterdam’s own show ‘So Dam Local‘
Education & Memberships